Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Best Banana Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe

Alright, so its unfair to make that claim since I obviously haven't tried every single banana cake in the world. But this recipe comes close! I baked this cake to thank the youths for helping us with moving our belongings last week.

I've been buying bananas since they are such a great source of food when I'm hungry and have no motivation or energy to cook.

Bananas are loaded with potassium, fiber and vitamin B, which is good for a boost in energy. Eating a banana on the go buys me time to think about what / if I want to eat something for my lunch / dinner. As a teacher with irregular working hours, I find that carrying a banana in my bag helps me to tide me over my hunger pangs.

I must say though, bananas don't survive very well in a woman's bag. The skin gets bruised easily and what looked like a fresh banana when I first put it into my bag, quickly turns in a badly-beated up, black, squashy thing.... I heard about a "banana holder" invented just for this purpose though.

Anyway before I divert, the flip side of buying bananas is that they don't have a long shelf life. I find myself in a position when I have to either eat over-ripe bananas or try to make something out of them.

I hence googled "best banana cake recipe" and found this one which I have since adapted. :) It tastes awesome! Moist, dense and rich with a chocolatey after-taste. Definitely worth trying for you banana lovers out there!

Ingredients:
- 125 grams butter
- 200 grams sugar
- 2 to 3 bananas (about 250grams altogether)
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar (about 10grams)
- 2 to 3 large eggs (total weight of about 120grams)
- 100 grams Buttermilk
- 225 self-raising flour (or 225 plain flour - 3 tsp plain flour + 2 tsp baking powder + 0.75 tsp salt)
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Some chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 150 degrees Celsius fan-forced.
2. Grease a 22cm diameter cake pan, including the sides (I used a 25cm cake pan and it tasted just as great)
3. Mix butter, sugar, banana, vanilla and eggs in a food processor
4. Add buttermilk to mixture. Combine.
5. Sift flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl.
6. Add flour mixture to food processor and mix until combined
7. Mix a handful of chocolate chips into the batter
8. Pour batter into cake pan.
9. Bake for about an hour or until a skewer of knife inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean
10. Leave cake to cool. Before serving sprinkle some icing sugar. Enjoy!!!!
Tried to take some close-up shots of the chocolate bits
Post note: I had 6 bananas, so I baked 2 cakes. The first one with chocolate chips in a round pan and the second one with Nutella in a cake loaf pan. My verdict? Forget the chocolate chips and just use Nutella instead! A rectangular loaf pan suits this cake better too. It tastes beyond awesome!!!!

2 comments:

bel said...

looks yummy!

Pris said...

Bel - Thanks dear! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails